Abel Tasman Unguided Trek
Abel Tasman 3 day Freedom Trek
Perfect for those who want to stroll at their own pace, linger on golden sand beaches and enjoy afternoon swims. You will have a seamless Abel Tasman experience. Start each day when you’re ready, and set your own pace along the track. You will have an information pack complete with maps and our favorite spots – to make sure you miss nothing. There’s no better head start to an independent walk of this beautiful coastal Track than an Abel Tasman Unguided Walking Package.Discover the Abel Tasman Track in your own way – but without missing anything.
HighlightsAbel Tasman Great Walk 3 days
Terms and Conditions
Click here for the full
Abel Tasman 3 Day Unguided Trek
Day 1 Marahau – Anchorage :
Approx 4 hours – 12.4kms
The trip begins when you're picked from your accommodation in the Nelson/Motueka area at approximately 7:20am and you'll be transported to Marahau (arriving around 9:15am). You’ll check your bags, collect your lunch, and head off on the track! On the trail you will spend the day hiking, swimming, and exploring forests and golden sand beaches en route to Anchorage. In the evening you will stay in a private room (shared bathroom) on Aquapackers boat where you can enjoy a glass of wine on the deck.
Day 2 Anchorage – Awaroa Inlet :
Approx. 8 hours – 23.5kms or 7 hours – 19.8kms with available tidal shortcut at Torrent Bay.
You’ll begin your day walking along the wonderful beach at Anchorage before heading on to Torrent Bay and the iconic Falls River swing bridge. Further up you will find Bark Bay, a great place to eat lunch and go for a swim. From this lovely spot you’ll head up the track’s largest ascent through stands of mānuka before walking back down to sea level to Tonga Quarry. A little further on you will discover Onetahuti Bay where an almost perfectly crescent shaped beach awaits you. You’ll be able to take off your shoes and enjoy walking barefoot along the beach before heading in to the exquisite Awaroa Lodge. This will be the biggest day. After a rejuvenating shower in your room you’ll be ready to enjoy a delicious dinner and a glass of wine at one of the most secluded lodges in New Zealand.
Day 3 Awaroa Inlet – Totaranui and water taxi return to Marahau :
Approx. 2.5 hours – 5.5kms
After a great breakfast you will head out to explore the area and make your way to the Awaroa Crossing. You’ll enjoy tramping through a breathtaking podocarp forest that leads to the golden sands of Waiharakeke and Goat Bays. After having more fun on the beach you will make the final ascent to the popular camping spot of Totaranui. From Totaranui the Aquataxi will pick you up and return you to Marahau, passing all the beautiful golden sand beaches that you explored during your trip. Transportation to Nelson/Motueka conveniently departs from the Aquataxi base.
Duration : 3 or 4 days
Departure Location: Marahau. Possible pick-Up/ drop off from your accommodation.
Departure Time : 7.00am
Departure Dates : Daily
Pace : Moderate
Level of fitness required : Moderate
What to bring
Summer : Sunglasses, sun hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, camera and warm outer layer clothing recommended.
Winter : Wear thermals including woolen socks, warm clothing, hat, gloves, windproof jacket, sunglasses, insect repellent & camera.
You can wear running shoes (trainers, sneakers etc) without having to use specialized hiking boots, sports sandals (sandals with support strap across the back of the heel), hiking boots , water shoes. Jandals are not recommended.
- Roundtrip transportation to Marahau from Nelson/Motueka and back
- Accommodation while walking the track
- Bag transfers between your accommodations (you only carry a daypack)
- All water taxi shuttles
- All food except dinner & breakfast at Awaroa Lodge
- 3 packed lunches
- Personalised itinerary and maps for your trip (allowing for tidal crossings)
- A single supplement will apply if single occupancy is required
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 45 days or more before the start of the tour, the cancellation fee will be equivalent to the deposit paid
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 30 to 45 days before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 25% of the contract price
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 7 to 30 days before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 50% of the contract price
- Where the date of cancellation is a date 7 days or less before the start of the tour the cancellation fee shall be 100% of the contract price
Create your custom itinerary
Start planning and create your own custom New Zealand itinerary here: